Question:

From Mesquite, Texas, USA:

In the past 4 years, my maternal grandparents, my mother, my maternal aunt and uncle and my sister have been diagnosed with diabetes. All of them were over 35 and overweight. I am 25 and have shown no indication of developing the disease. What are the chances that I will develop this disease? If I maintain my weight and exercise regularly, does my chances decrease? Also, what is the risk that my newborn son will develop this disease? Is there anything I can do to prevent myself from becoming a diabetic? My sister tells me it is inevitable that I will develop the disease.

Answer:

The risk depends, above your genetic background, i.e., the strong family history for type 2 diabetes as it seems reading your letter, also from your lifestyle and eating habits. It is absolutely true that maintaining your body weight as close as possible to the ideal and regular exercise can both decrease a lot your future risk of becoming diabetic.

This holds true for your son too, and therefore his early nutrition habits must be as healthy as possible. I think a dietitian can be of help for both of you. Almost nothing, and diabetes follows the rule, is inevitable over our life.