Question:

From Antelope, California, USA:

I have a 15 year old male friend. He is a diabetic, and has been one since he was 1 or 2 years old. I have asked him many times to spend the night. Always at the last minute he can't. I heard somewhere that most diabetics wet the bed? Is this true. If it is I will stop asking him to spend the night.

Answer:

Great question. Many children and some teens do have enuresis, or bed wetting. In kids with diabetes, if the blood sugar is too high, then extra urine is produced and children may wet the bed.

So it depends. Maybe there's another reason: perhaps he and his parents are not comfortable with his giving shots and measuring blood sugar.

Posted to Other Social Issues