Question:

From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

I recently purchased an electric blanket.The instruction sheet said the blanket was not to be used by diabetics. I am insulin dependent (for 12 years), have good sugar control, and used my old electric blanket every year in the winter.

What is the danger? Should I quit using the electric blanket?

Answer:

The reason for the warning, is that if someone with diabetes has neuropathy and does not have good sensation (feeling) in their extremities, he or she may not realize that the blanket was too hot and causing a burn.

LM

[Editor's comment: Children with diabetes rarely have neuropathy. JSH]