Question:

From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada:

My 7 year old son has been a Type 1 diabetic for 3 years. Does Pramlintide (Amylin) taken with insulin provide better control?

Answer:

There have been several reports in the last year or two that supplementing insulin with pramlintide can achieve a modest reduction in A1c levels. However I don't think this approach is indicated in a seven year old because it would have to be given subcutaneously before each meal and could not be mixed with the insulin. If you have access to a medical library you might like to look at a paper by Thompson.RG in Diabetologia 40:1278,1997. If you really feel that you have reached a point where you need to seek better control and have exhausted all current approaches you should talk to your son's endocrinologist about the use of metformin [a pill usually used for Type 2 diabetes]. This has been used in children and it is given orally.

Posted to Other Medications