From Orange Park, Florida. USA:

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes six weeks ago and I am trying to learn. If alpha cell release of glucagon occurs in response to hypoglycemia then why does hypoglycemia occur? Anticipating your answer; if there is not enough glycogen in the liver to counteract the hypoglycemic episode and the episode becomes severe, how does injecting more glucagon help?

Good question. What you are doing by injecting glucagon is augmenting the body's own response and speeding up the release of glycogen from the liver. Because there is only so much glycogen in the liver there is usually little point in repeating the glucagon injection if the hypoglycaemia continues (because of hyperinsulinaemia) -- in these circumstances IV glucose has to be given.