Question:

From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 26 years. I am now 38 years old, with no complications. Although I am aware that I have "hypoglycemia unawareness", I have compensated by learning to recognize other signs that my blood sugar is low. My question is: Is the loss of memory during some hypoglycemic episodes normal? I do not lose consciousness. I do function "normally" (i.e. appear to be conscious: walking, talking). I have no memory of these conversations, surroundings, interactions, etc. This has happened several times (less than 5) over the last 23 years since diagnosed with IDDM Type 1, including some previous to starting on intensive insulin therapy.

Is this loss of memory normal or to be expected?

Additionally, please provide a definition for "neuroglycopenic". I assume it means without neurologic glucose symptoms, but would like confirmation.

Answer:

Loss of memory during some severe hypos can sometimes happen, as you have found. This can happen either with conventional insulin therapies or with current intensive regimens.

"Neuroglycopenic" means the severe shortage of glucose in the nerve cells of the brain (which are depending upon glucose as their main fuel).