From San Francisco, California, USA:

My husband has Type 1 Diabetes, and we have a healthy 4 month old son. Is it true that starting my son on solid foods later in life may help prevent diabetes? Is there anything I can do that would help in prevention?

I have not heard of that. We usually suggest waiting until 4-6 months to start solids. Nothing specific has been found to help in prevention of Type 1, although we are looking at that in the Diabetes Prevention Trial. You might wish to have your son tested for antibodies against the islet cells which make insulin when he gets a little older. The number call for more info is 800-425-8361.