From California, USA:

My baby was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a month ago. She is 13 months old. She now has some illness (flu or other) and her numbers are over 600. We are following her doctor's advice but it's hard to feed a baby when she doesn't want to eat. What about ketones during illness?

I highly recommend that you speak with your diabetes team about sick day management. It is very important that you keep in close contact with them when your child is ill and has ketones. Depending on each situation, you may be told to give your child sugared fluids or foods or sugar-free foods.

It takes a while to understand all the issues when you are new at dealing with diabetes. Keep asking your diabetes team members. There are several good manuals out there as well. One is called Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D. Many of your questions will be addressed in there.

Also, check out this website and others for other books about diabetes.

Posted to Other Illnesses and Daily Care