From Ashtabula, Ohio, USA:

My son was just diagnosed at the age of 9. He is type 1 and takes insulin shots 3 times a day. Before his diagnoses he seemed calmer and more laid back, but now seems to be real energetic and almost to the point of hyperactivity. Is he just feeling better or could it be due to the insulin or bottled up feelings? He seems to be taking his diabetes well, but started to cry once and made himself stop. We are concerned about his mental well being.

Nothing to be much worried about! Anyone, especially at the age of 9, forced by life events to be facing a chronic disease such as diabetes, has to pass through various psychological phases towards the final positive acceptance of the life-long disease.

My advice: if his metabolic control, as judged by his pediatrician and by his HbA1c, looks fine, leave him to handle the new situation with you in the background.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

I agree with Dr. Songini that he may be feeling better, but some of the abnormal behavior might be due to undetected hypoglycemia, as the honeymoon starts.

Be sure to monitor his blood sugar frequently (at least before meals and bedtime, and perhaps at 3 A.M. once or twice a week). If you find his blood sugars to be below 100 a lot, talk to your diabetes team about possibly adjusting the insulin doses.

Posted to Behavior