From New Zealand:

My son, aged 10, has had type 1 IDDM for six years. Currently he is on Actrapid (Regular) before meals and Protaphane (isophane insulin) in the evening. That's the problem -- does it make a difference if he gets it at 20:00 (8:00 pm), as my wife prefers so he can get to bed, or at 2:100 (9:00 pm) which seems to result in less episodes of low readings at about 22:30 (10:30 pm) when I test him again?

The time agreed for his evening Protaphane doesn't matter in itself but consistency does. Once a pattern of blood sugars is established with giving it at the same time each night, snacks and insulin dose can be adjusted to suit.