Question:

From Manila, the Philippines:

During my wife's pregnancies, she was diabetic and both our children were over 8 pounds when born. What is the likelihood that our two children (ages 4 and 1) will become diabetic? Is it advisable for our children to be screened for diabetes this early? Is there a chance for them to become type 1 diabetics?

Answer:

I do not believe there is any increased incidence of Type 1 diabetes in children of mothers with gestational diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease and results in insulin deficiency. Gestational diabetes is insulin resistance without an autoimmune component. Children of women with gestational diabetes would be more at risk for Type 2 diabetes later in life. There is a sister study to the DPT-1 called the Diabetes Prevention Program for relatives of Type 2 diabetics. The number in the USA for more information is 888-377-5646.

HVS

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Gestational Diabetes