From California, USA:

I would like to know what the percentage is of children with diabetes is whot have fathers or mothers in or affiliated with the military. My son was diagnosed at the age of 4 with no family history whatsoever. I realize that it was still possible for him to have diabetes, yet I question the children of Gulf War veterans. It seems like a awful lot of diabetic kids have parents in the military. My husband currently receives disability because of a thyroid condition recognized by the VA, brought about by chemicals experienced in the Gulf War. The thyroid and pancreas are both glands which leads me to believe that this is somehow related in nature. I have read government reports of actual soldiers becoming diabetic after the war but a study has never been done of the offspring of these veterans. I was wondering if you know of any correlation between the Gulf War and Diabetes?

Type 1A diabetes which is the commonest cause of diabetes in children in the U.S. has both a genetic and an environmental basis. The Gulf war could not have affected his father's genetic contribution and the environmental contribution, which is not yet precisely known, would likewise not have been influenced by conditions in the desert. Furthermore I know of no studies that suggest a specially high incidence of diabetes amongst children of the military.