From Michigan, USA:

Our 5 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 just 3 months ago. I realize it is winter, but he complains about his back, chest and sides near underarms being very itchy. It seems to start around dinner time each day and he has awaken at night because of it. He actually put scratches on his back itching himself. I bought some diabetic moisturizing lotion that seems to help for a short time. Is this related to diabetes? Is there a medicine to take to stop it?

I doubt your son's itching is related to his diabetes. Have you changed laundry detergents or bath soap recently? This sounds like a possible allergic reaction to something his skin is in contact with. If it happens every day at mealtime, it could also be a food allergy. I would suggest talking to your son's pediatrician.