From Easton, Pennsylvania, USA:

I am a 44 year old female insulin dependent diabetic. I have had diabetes for 30 years and am in excellent control. For the third time in 2 1/2 years, I have been diagnosed with a trigger finger. All the information I have read lists diabetes as the number one cause of trigger finger, followed by gout and arthritis. Can you explain this?

Since you have had diabetes since the age of 14 it seems reasonable to assume that you have had the Type 1A or autoimmune form. For a number of years now it has been recognised that this form of diabetes is quite often associated with other autoimmune disorders especially of the thyroid. Indeed these associations have come to be called the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndromes.

One group of supposedly autoimmune conditions that are associated with diabetes are various forms of connective tissue inflammation. At its most extreme it is called the stiff man syndrome; but more commonly it just involves the palmer and planter fascia, and the tendon sheaths especially in the hand.