Question:

From Caledon, Ontario, Canada:

In your opinion, would children who have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been in mouldy portable classrooms have any health risks by remaining in these portables? Is there any link if the diabetes is not genetic but more environmentally caused that this could be a possible link, or that once being diagnosed remaining in the portable could be harmful and should be monitored or should the child be considered for placement in the school. In Ontario, mould in the portables is a wide concern among health experts as well as parents. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

Diabetes in children does not have a direct environmental cause that I am aware of. My concern with the portable classroom would be that the student have access to the school nurse and/or adults to help in the case of a low blood sugar or emergency event. For example, the portable should have a communication system that allows the teacher to notify the office if any type of help is needed (not just for diabetes). Also the student should have access to drinking water and bathroom facilities as should all other students.

I would think the mold would have more of an effect on the respiratory tract and could cause problems for children with asthma and allergies.

LW

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare