From Greeley, Colorado, USA:

I am 43 and was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Type 1 diabetes. My C-peptide was in range by one tenth (1.0, bottom of range was .9) showing I was Type 2 but was told that wasn't high enough for my age and activity levels. I recently was in for a check up and was given a second C-peptide test. Showing 15. Is it possible to start producing that much more insulin? Or could it be, that the test could be tainted because of the 50 units of Ultralente I take?

The fact that your initial C-peptide was marginally low is very much in favour of the diagnosis of Type 1 rather than Type 2 diabetes. When you first start taking insulin in the initial stages of this condition there is often a temporary degree of recovery of the insulin producing cells which is called the honeymoon period. This could explain the rise in the C peptide; but the result has no bearing really on the specific diagnosis. I would talk to your doctor about getting an antibody test done. The number to call is 1-800-425-8361.

Knowing which type of diabetes will not make any significant difference to treatment if you are clearly insulin dependant; but it will confirm that if you are Type 1, you will be committed to insulin injections for the foreseeable future.