From Chicago, Illinois, USA:

My 9-year-old daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 with Type 1. A year ago, our pediatric endo suggested we change from Regular insulin to Humalog. Lately, she has been complaining of stomach aches, and "not feeling well" after an injection. I suspect this may be because of the rapid drop in blood glucose. She uses a morning mix of 15U NPH and 6U Humalog; 6/4 at dinner. I've talked to specialists who are not sold on the benefits of Humalog with young children, despite the advantages of fast-acting insulin, and we're considering changing back to R. What do you think?

I don't think Humalog is "better" than Regular, just different. It is helpful when you want an insulin to work faster than Regular and not last as long. For some people it works too fast or doesn't last long enough. For these people Regular may be better, or a mixture of Regular and Humalog. Frequent testing of the blood sugar 2 hours after eating and then 4 hours after eating will help you sort out your child's pattern of blood sugar rise and fall after meals and adjust the fast-acting insulin or combination of insulins to your child's needs.

[Editor's comment: When switching from Regular to Humalog, it may sometimes be wise to decrease the number of units slightly, so that precipitous drops in blood sugar can be avoided. Talk to your endocrinologist about this. WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Analogs