From British Columbia, Canada:

My 9 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for 3 years often complains of tummy aches (middle upper part of her abdomen). She enjoys a fairly bland diet (loves porridge) and I cannot pinpoint any particular sensitivity to any food group. Her bowel movements are quite regular, she is emotionally well adjusted and she is otherwise healthy and growing. I have a cousin with celiac disease and have wondered about this possibility however her pediatrician doesn't think so. We'd really like to get to the bottom of these tummy aches -- she often misses school as result. Any ideas of what could be causing them?

In children abdominal pain is sometimes an accompaniment to low blood sugars; but I expect you have already thought of this. Since there is a family history of coeliac disease it would be worth getting your daughter tested for antibodies to transglutaminase. About 10% of Caucasian diabetic children in North America have these antibodies and even if they have no symptoms it is thought wise to do a small bowel biopsy, and if that is also positive to go on a gluten (wheat) free diet, not a great burden for someone who loves porridge! A telephone number to call for further details is 1-800-425-8361.

Coeliac disease, by the way is also an autoimmune disorder and the commonest one associated with Type 1A diabetes after hypothyroidism. A rather rare possibility which French doctors, in particular, have described is an autoimmune gastritis sometimes associated with an anemia. This grouping of autoimmune conditions are often now referred to as the DOB

Posted to Aches and Pains