Question:

From West Virginia, USA:

Our 6 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 17 months. His A.M. shot of 1H and 17N lasts him all day usually with no evening shot. He experiences morning lows of 50-60 whether he goes to bed with a reading of 150-300. He appears to produce his own insulin at night. Do you have a recommendation as to what we should do, particularly since we are not always sure if he has dropped lower in the middle of the night?

Answer:

I wonder if that much NPH might not be absorbed over a longer period of time and maybe causing the lows. I occasionally see that giving smaller doses of NPH will allow it to work faster.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.