From Seoul, Korea:

I have a 4 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. We, my wife and me, tightly control his blood glucose level at this moment with food, exercise and insulin shots. But, sometimes, I am confused about calories of food such as Diet Pepsi. As far as I know, the calories of Diet Pepsi or Light Coke is less than 10 Kcal per serving size. If that is the case, can he drink that kind of beverage freely? And, for no calorie food such as vegetables, can he have them freely?

Generally any food that is less than 20 calories per serving is considered "free." Most vegetables are free -- except for the starchy ones such as peas, corn, potatoes and dried beans /legumes. Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi or other carbonated drinks are free and can be used whenever you wish. Since these drinks do not contain any nutrients, make sure they are not taking the place of other nutritious foods such as milk, fruits and vegetables. I always encourage kids to eat all the vegetables they want.