Question:

From Georgia, USA:

What is the difference between foods with sugar alcohol and regular sugar? I've noticed sugar free candy has just as much carbs and sugar alcohol as regular candy. Why is it any better to eat sugar free?

Answer:

Good question. I am not sure I feel it is better. As a matter of fact there are gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea and gas that come along with some sugar alcohols that make them a lesser choice in many instances. The sugar alcohols are not absorbed as rapidly as sugar, but they are still absorbed later and are still 4 calories per gram, just like sugar. I think moderation in either case is the key.

JM