Question:

From Virginia, USA:

What have you found to be the best evening snack to avoid hypoglycemia during the night or early morning?

Answer:

This is a complicated question because it depends on so many factors. In my experience I believe if the blood sugar is below 80 before bed, an additional snack of one or two extra carbohydrates of the starchy variety should be eaten. For years I have said an extra protein could be helpful, although I understand this is questionable in research, it seems to work in practice. I try to have children stay away from juice or just fruit for a snack and go for starches. The fact is a mixed snack seems to work for most. The Nite Bite seem to work for some -- these have uncooked cornstarch in them which does keep blood sugars from dipping too low. Some children like them, others do not. They are available in drug stores.

If you are seeing lows frequently, and adjustment in your insulin dose may be in order. Talk these issues over with your diabetes team if possible. Since exercise affects the blood sugars for hours afterwards, you may want to look at activity levels and make sure you are accommodating for exercise with food during the activity. So many things to think about!

JM

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Hypoglycemia