From Virginia, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed about a year ago, and is 6 years old. She has had pneumonia for the second time. Her sugar levels have been volatile during this illness and ketones have ranged from small to large for one week solid. I know that some of this is normal with illness, but I am worried about long range damage to her kidneys. Help! What can I do?

I would be more worried about the possibility of her developing ketoacidosis while she was sick than now. I would contact your child's doctor to discuss how to clear the ketones and lower the blood sugar now.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA