Question:

From Melbourne, Australia:

I am insulin dependent and so is my 6 year old son. I have been hearing of a strong link between young children with diabetes and celiac disease. I have also been told that my son may need to have a blood test to check this. Is this correct and is the test recommended? My son has had diabetes for 18 months and shows no visible signs of celiac disease.

Answer:

Yes, recently it has become clearer that people with Type 1 diabetes have an increased incidence of celiac disease (intolerance to wheat/gluten). There are antibody tests to screen for this, though if suspected by clinical symptoms and abnormal antibodies, an intestinal biopsy is usually done to confirm the diagnosis. I do not routinely test children for celiac disease unless they have abdominal pain, diarrhea, or unexplained poor growth.