From Madrid, Spain:

My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 just a month ago. I have read about the glycemic index. Is this terribly important in planning meals? Should I stress to achieve a low GI in each meal? How do I calculate the GI of mixed foods?

Glycemic index is not really stressed in planning meals for those with diabetes. We more look at total carbohydrates. There are no guidelines for the GI of mixed dishes, just 100 gm portion of single foods, which is not very helpful.

As far as carbohydrates, we do suggest getting in as many whole grains and whole fruits as possible since then you also get some fiber. But do plan some foods like sweets so she does not feel deprived of those foods. Variety is key.

How do you know if you are doing okay with her diet? Review the diet with your diabetes team and for a young child, we look at appropriate growth as being a key indicator of the adequacy of the diet.

[Editor's comment: For additional information, see The Glycemic Index by David Mendosa. JSH]