Question:

From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

After reading the index of questions, I am still uncertain as to what the "average" blood sugar levels should be for a 6 year old. What should the "fasting" level be and also do you test children 2 hours after eating a meal just like adults? What should the level be after eating? My 6 year old daughter seems to have to go to the bathroom constantly, but shows no sign of excessive thirst. I have gestational diabetes now -- and have always been borderline Type 2 -- and prick myself daily. I pricked my daughter's finger one hour after eating and it was 94. Is this okay?

Answer:

Not diabetes: Fasting should be below 110, but in reality it's unlikely to be above 90. We only test 2 hours after eating for those who we are managing intensely. Diabetes in 6 year olds: 80-160 for fasting is okay.

Posted to Daily Care and Diagnosis and Symptoms