From a school nurse in Maryland, USA:

I am a parent of a 13 year old daughter who was diagnosed with diabetes at age 2 years. My husband, 43 years, was diagnosed with Type 2 three years ago. I am a school nurse with 2200 students; I have 12 with diabetes. It seems everyday in our community there is a child diagnosed. I am very interested in becoming a CDE, but cannot qualify for the two years experience working with diabetics full time. This is so frustrating for me. My dream is to work with people recently diagnosed, especially children. Is there any hope for me? I have been a school nurse for three years, hoping to transfer to a position at our local diabetes center.

I am glad to hear from you and especially glad to hear of your interest in the diabetes field. I first took the CDE exam in 1990 (I think!) after working in the hospital and clinic setting, but the bulk of my diabetes experience has been working in our summer camp for the past twenty years. There's nothing like living diabetes 24/7 as you must know. I definitely believe that there is hope for you to succeed as a diabetes educator and working in a diabetes center would be a great place to start. Don't underestimate your value in the school system: there is often a great need for someone who knows and understands diabetes to be an advocate for the students with diabetes!