From Nevada, USA:

My daughter is 16 and has had Type 1 diabetes since 7. She takes Humalog during the day and NPH at bedtime. This allows her to be flexible in her eating habits and allows her to use carbohydrate counting. She has no restrictions on food but tries to eat a healthy diet. She has been in situations recently where others have been deciding her menu. They have eliminated sugar, such as jello, and substituted it with pretzels. They say this is the "ADA diet". I cannot find the "ADA Diet" on the Internet but I know what they are telling me is not current information, or, they are trying to lump Type 1's and Type 2's and all the different type of diabetic maintenance choices into one menu. We are from California where her doctor was an endocrinologist/diabetes specialist. We are now in Nevada and there are no endocrinologist close so she is dealing with internists who are not up on the latest in diabetes maintenance.

I suggest that you find a diabetes team in your area. You might wish to call 800-832-6874 and they can hopefully locate a diabetes educator in your area or nearby that would be more up-to-date than a general internist who sees people with many different diseases.

In reading your letter again, it sounds as though the meal plan you are following (or your daughter is following) is correct, it is everyone else out there that feel someone with diabetes must limit sugar and any simple carbohydrates. I do not know how to do a mass education since these people do not read diabetes journals, I am sure. I think you just need to be persistent that she can eat normally and take the appropriate insulin to cover that. This was unheard-of until probably 10 years ago and has only been in more widespread use for the past five years. It is an uphill battle, just as someone with type 2 who says "I only have a touch of diabetes."

Education is key.