From Waco, Texas, USA:

My 16-month-old son frequently has breath that smells like nail polish remover, has not gained more than a pound or two in the past 6 months or so, still nurses (he does eat solids, of course) frequently and I am concerned that he might have type 1 diabetes. The A.D.A. says the Fasting Plasma Glucose Test is the most reliable test for testing diabetes. Is the FPG test the most reliable for a baby my son's age and is it safe for a potential diabetic 16-month old to fast for 8 hours?

A 16 month old child should be able to fast over night.

It sounds like you are smelling ketones. Some children produce lots of ketones during a normal overnight fast. Some even have low blood sugars during this time. You need to explore this with your pediatrician.

Fasting glucose of 126 or random glucose of over 200 with symptoms is diabetes.