From New Jersey, USA:

Ever since my 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 at age 13 months, it has always been a problem what to give her to drink. She is not a big water drinker. We used to give her Crystal Light all the time but I began to feel uncomfortable giving her pure Nutrasweet, it just can't be healthy. Our nutritionist always taught us that a carb is a carb so I'am not big on sugar-free products since they still contain carbs and artificial sweeteners. If she has cookies or ice cream, it is regular she just eats certain amounts at specific times.As for her drink we have found a product called Vita-J, 11.5oz. has 2 carbs, 1 gram sugar, contains 10% real fruit juice, the Nutrasweet is listed as the 3rd ingredient so I feel a little better about this. We also use Diet Snapple which also contains some fruit juice and is very low in carbs.

How do you feel about "a carb is a carb" and am I doing her harm by trying to stick with "normal" food? Her A1c's have always been in the 6 range just the last 2 in the 8 range.

I feel the same way about carbohydrates being equal and I believe that the Food Guide Pyramid is a great guide to good healthy eating and that indicates sugar should be used in moderation as should non-caloric, non nutritious drinks and foods. I hope your daughter also drinks milk. Keep trying on the water -- we all need to drink water. It is very important that children feel like children and not "food and a blood sugar." The more normal the food, the more normal the feelings. The A1c can be affected by many things such as growth spurts and changes in routine/weather/exercise. Eight is still great by our system (with the normal range of 4.3-7). Keep up the good work.