Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am 38 years old and was diagnosed last summer with type 2 diabetes. I need to lose weight. I would like to try carbohydrate counting. I know exercise is important and I am trying to add walking daily. How many carbohydrates should I eat a day and at each meal? I am currently not on any medicine for my diabetes and would like to continue.

Answer:

It sounds like you are on the right track. I am hoping you will be able to connect with a dietitian who is familiar with Type 2 diabetes to help you develop a carb counting diet.

It is impossible for me to specifically answer your question about how many carbs you should have without more information. Keep up the exercise and do look for a dietitian to help -- a customized diet will work much better than one that might be just handed to you.

JM