Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My nephew, who is 5, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago when he was getting tested for asthma. The doctors felt that the steroids as well as the strain from the chickenpox and hoof and mouth disease pushed him to get it earlier. They felt that he would get it later in life like my grandmothers. Is this true?

He was also born 2 months early. Could it be that some organs were not functioning because of growth? Now my 2 year old niece, his sister, just was diagnosed. She is further along than he. He has been fine through a strict diet, unlike her. The doctors want to start insulin when her sugars reach 200.

We have no family history of juvenile diabetes. When one sibling gets it, does the other? Can my family get tested for antibodies? We want to get a better understanding of why and how this happened.

Answer:

We have extensively discussed the inheritance of diabetes on other pages of Children with Diabetes.

Yes, you can get tested for antibodies if you wish to know your status and if you are interested in participating in the Diabetes Prevention Trial, this would be a good idea. In the DPT-1, people with positive antibodies and other markers indicating that diabetes may be developing are eligible to participate in a study where half the patients are treated with insulin (either injections or oral depending on the results of the tests) and the other half are observed with no treatment as controls to see if the treatment delays or prevents the onset of diabetes. If you are interested in participating in this study, if your antibodies are positive, you will undergo further testing.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity