From Hilo, Hawaii, USA:

My seven year old granddaughter was just diagnosed diabetes. Her blood sugar was 490. She weights 36 pounds. We have established that the first signs began about 3 months ago. Her doctor insisted that she be flown to Honolulu immediately for treatment and education. Superior to what this island hospital has to offer. She was to go directly to ER where they are expecting her arrival at any moment as I write.

I know her great grandmother on her father's side had diabetes later in life, as did her great-great grandmother on her mother's side. A great aunt on the mothers side had it as well.

My questions is, what is the best course for me to take to make this child's life as normal as possible? I believe in natural medicine where appropriate, and I believe in good eating habits. I want to be informed and supportive, but I haven't got a clue.

Any direction that you can give me would be most appreciated. As you can imagine, we are all devastated.

The diagnosis of diabetes is always a major shock. With your attitude of health, your grandchild will have a fine advocate in her corner!

Learn all you can. Do not treat her as "sick". Encourage her to aspire to all of her most fondly held dreams. Diabetes is not the end of her world. It will compel her to pay attention to things: food, activity, and schedules. Health professionals are committed to the search for a cure. Your grandchild may be the beneficiary of the push for such a cure. Until it is found, listen, support, advocate, and assist in every way you can.

I think your grandchild is lucky to have you.