Question:

From Connecticut, USA:

My 13 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 9. Currently he is taking 39 units of Lente, 20 of Ultralente, and a sliding scale for Humalog in the A.M., 6:30-7:00. He tests and often takes more Humalog before lunch. After school, around 3 P.M., he tests and often takes Humalog before he has a snack. At dinner time, 6:15-7:00, he takes 5 units of lente, just adjusted down from 9, and sliding scale of Humalog. Finally, at bedtime, 9:00-9:30, he tests and takes Humalog depending on sugar level and how or if he is hungry. We are usually adjusting some part of his insulin dose 2-3 times a month. Is this considered the normal regimen for trying to maintain good-tight control, which we rarely seem to have for any length of time? Will this type of treatment ever get simpler? How can I get him to do this on his own when he gets older and is away at school?

Answer:

It does indeed seem as though your son has become involved in an overly complex insulin regimen, albeit in the very good cause of maintaining excellent control. I wonder if he wouldn't be an admirable candidate for an insulin pump and nowadays he would not be considered too young. You might want to talk to his doctor about initiating such a change with the help of pediatric diabetes specialists, because the conversion to a pump really does need to be monitored by a really experienced group.

Posted to Tight Control