From Reno, Nevada, USA:

Quite a few members on my mothers side of my family have diabetes and many have died of heart failure from diabetic complications. My grandmother was diagnosed with hypoglycemia many years ago and has been able to control it through a proper diet. About six months ago my 13 year old son and I were diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I have had some trouble controlling mine through diet. I eat about 3-4 small meals a day and I try to avoid sugars or high fructose corn syrup products. If I miss even one meal, I have severe shakes the remainder of the day in most cases. I have been tested for diabetes several times, but the test always comes back negative. I do not have medical insurance and I don't have a lot of money, so I feel like I really can't and shouldn't pursue an answer to my problem. Any suggestions as to the problem, or how I can help it would be greatly appreciated.

While much is rumored about hypoglycemia and diabetes, the literature suggests that most with hypoglycemia do not go on to develop diabetes.

Most hypoglycemia is related to fuel and treated with food. Only if hypoglycemia is associated with loss of consciousness, do I usually go further.