Question:

From Slidell, Louisiana, USA:

I found out two years ago I have Type 2 diabetes. I am confused about the use of sugar. I have seen many recipes for people with diabetes that contain sugar. My doctor told me to avoid sugar and sugar related foods in my diet. If the recipes call for sugar how can they be for diabetics like myself?

Answer:

Until about 5-6 years ago sugar was limited in the diet of those with diabetes. Now we do "work in" sugars since research has found that the sugar in fruits, cookies, milk, pasta, etc. is all pretty much used in the same way to raise the blood glucose levels.

We usually do not recommend special recipes for those with diabetes since the meal plan for those with diabetes is pretty much general healthy eating. Anyway, you can reduce the amount of sugar by about 1/3.

LSF