From Pennsylvania, USA:

My son is 15 with type 1 diabetes for 4 years. He takes Regular and NPH insulin at breakfast and dinnertime. His insulin is decreased for long or heavy exercise and takes an extra snack at night and has extra snacks during exercise. However, one or two days after heavy exercise he will often wake up with a hypo reaction. He checks for low blood sugars on these days at 3 A.M. and takes additional food when necessary, but still wakes up with a hypo reaction. He usually eats 6-8 ounces of juice with bread every 30 minutes until above 80 blood sugar which can take 2-4 hours. Are there any conditions diseases or problems that could cause slow digestion for a diabetic?

I don't think there's any reason to suspect that your son has a problem absorbing food. It is common to find that the sensitivity to insulin is increased after strenuous or prolonged exercise. Your son should cut his insulin dose for the day after exercise as well and see what happens.

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Hypoglycemia