Question:

From Roselle Park, New Jersey, USA:

My two year old son has had diabetes for almost one year. We are lucky in that he has had no incidents of non-responsiveness or seizures and he is growing well. His numbers are all over the place (he often goes from high 400's to 60 and back up with and without rebounds) however, and very unpredictable. His endocrinologist is extremely good and has an excellent reputation but has not made any creative suggestions to achieve better control. We simply administer NPH at breakfast, NPH at bed and supplement with Humalog at breakfast or dinner when he is over 350. I would like a more predictable sugar level.

Can you give me some ideas of successful control with toddlers, there is not a lot of literature around?

Answer:

Toddlers are among the most difficult age group to control. It's not hard to see why when you watch one tearing around the garden one minute and fast asleep the next. Equally, one day he will eat like a horse and the next refuse even his favourite food. Don't worry too much about trying to get perfect sugars. The HbA1c will guide you on whether you are in the ballpark. Your endocrinologist may suggest a different insulin regimen but really the management has to be tailored to the individual. Things will settle down when your son's lifestyle is a little less erratic.