Question:

From Nashville, Tennessee, USA:

My grandfather, aged 75, has been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. At his visit he was given a diet but proceeded to lose it almost immediately. Due to the fact that he is under a psychiatrist's care, he doesn't want to approach his primary care physician for another copy. I explained that he wouldn't think my grandfather any worse in the mental area, but he refuses. Is there anywhere on the Internet that a diabetic diet can be obtained and if so, where?

Answer:

I guess I'd refer you to the ADA website -- they have consumer information and they publish several books that actually have meal plans and menus.

BB

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

Since meal plans should be individualized, especially in people with complex problems, I'd suggest that you contact your grandfather's psychiatrist and/or his primary care doctor, and explain what happened. This approach should minimize any psychologic effects on your grandfather.

Ideally, your grandfather should be referred to a diabetes dietitian to develop an individualized meal plan.

SS

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.