Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My son has been thirsty for two days, so I checked his sugar and it was 440. We went to the doctor and they think he may have juvenile diabetes. But I have put him on a diet and within four days we have got his sugar before breakfast to 143 and ketones are only a trace, and the peak sugar is 230 and ketones a trace.

Do you think this is juvenile diabetes? Can I control it with diet and exercise like I have in 4 days? We went from 440 to 134 to 154 and the peak is around 200. I would appreciate any information you can give me for this is something that is very hard for us to deal with alone.

Answer:

No doubt that it's diabetes. The blood sugar apparent recovery is secondary to the well-known honeymoon period that frequently happens in many newly diagnosed type 1 diabetic patients.

I would advise my patient to start insulin, and stick to it continuously, as soon as the diagnosis is confirmed, to possibly prolong the honeymoon period and to improve future risk for diabetes complications. A good diabetes team involved in the care of young patients (based on a continuous reinforced educational approach) would allow your son to carry on an healthy and long life along with his diabetes.