Question:

From Columbus, Nebraska, USA:

I am a male age 57. Last week I had a glucose reading at my doctor's office. The reading was 185. I weigh 284 pounds as of this morning and am trying to lose weight and get this reading down. What would a safe or a normal glucose reading be in my situation?

Answer:

The diagnostic level for blood glucose to be called diabetes is a fasting blood glucose of 126 or more. I assume that the 185 was fasting (nothing to eat or drink for 8 hours). That means you have diabetes. The way to get it into control are to lose some weight, which you are working on, and increase your activity. I wouldn't go out and do a marathon right away, just start with a short walk each evening and gradually increase your time and speed. Your goal should be a blood sugar of 80-120 before meals, which will keep your blood glucose average at the level that we now know will give you the best chance for feeling good and staying healthy.

You should feel okay about taking a few months to work with meal planning and exercise to get there, and then if you haven't reached your goal, your doctor may want to start you on one of the oral medications. Don't hesitate to take medication to reach your goal: it's worth it!

VV