Question:

From New York, USA:

How much does the insulin affect the child's weight? My child needs to lose some weight but I don't want her to know she is on a diet.

Answer:

Insulin can promote weight gain. However for a young child we try to match the insulin needs to the child's eating pattern so growth in both height and weight occurs in a normal pattern. If someone took a lot of extra insulin they would be very hungry and possibly overeat, so, of course that is discouraged.

Actually, the meal plan for those with diabetes is an excellent meal pattern for the whole family so I think I would not use the word "diet."

LSF

Posted to Insulin and Meal Planning, Food and Diet