From Louisiana, USA:

My daughter, age 11, was recently diagnosed with Type 2. I have heard that this is rare for a child her age. Can you tell me what percentage of children have Type 2? Also, is MODY and Type 2 the same thing?

Designating a child as having Type 2 diabetes nowadays really means that they do not presently need insulin for blood sugar control and have a negative antibody test and are therefore not the common Type 1A or immunodeficient type in an 11 year old girl. In recent years this group has been categorised in more detail. It includes Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young, which is itself divided into MODY1, MODY2 and MODY3; the MODY2 variant having at least six subvariants. Then there is Type 1B diabetes which does present very much like Type 1A and which may require insulin to start with; but usually soon becomes non-insulin dependant. This is particularly frequent in Hispanic and Afro-American onset cases where it comprises just over 50% in the U.S. Much more rarely there are the mitochondrial forms of diabetes which are usually associated with other problems especially deafness. Very rare forms of diabetes associated with chromosomal abnormalities may belong in this category too.

The incidence of each particular group is not well worked out because of the difficulties of precise diagnosis and because of geographical and ethnic variation; but in aggregate they are less than 15% in childhood.

Whilst it may be frustrating not to have a specific diagnosis it is important to remember that treatment is not specific and should be directed as always at impeccable control and A1c levels that are normal, or which approach the upper range of normal.