Question:

From Piedmont, South Carolina, USA:

What measures should I take to care for my insulin should we lose power when the year 2000 arrives? What is the longest insulin can be at room temperature? What is the highest temperature insulin can be stored at? And can I use insulin past the date stamped on the bottle?

Answer:

Congratulations on your planning ahead for the year 2000! Many things might be affected throughout the world by this change but, fortunately, your insulin is not at risk.

You did not mention if you are using bottles of insulin or cartridges. I will assume you are using bottles for my response. Today's insulins are made to be safe and stable stored at room temperature (defined as less than 87 degrees C). The usual advice given regarding insulin storage is, once the bottle is taken from the refrigerator or pharmacy, opened and used, it can be safely stored at room temperature for at least 30 days. Research shows just a small, minute, decrease in potency as time goes by. If loss of potency occurs, you would typically experience an unexpected rise in blood sugar. This same loss of potency could occur when insulins are used past their expiration date. Again, checking your blood sugar on a routine basis will help you know when things "aren't right".

For more information, you can always contact your pharmacist or the insulin manufacturer.

Best wishes for a healthy and happy millennium!

KS