From Patrick Air Force Base, Florida, USA:

I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years I am now 23. I was given the okay by all my doctors to get pregnant. I heard that your blood sugars rise when you get pregnant and suddenly drop with no warning. What I'm wondering is, how soon after conceiving does this happen? I am on an insulin pump,so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Blood sugar control can be erratic in the early part of pregnancy. How you will respond to pregnancy is unpredictable. Therefore, I recommend checking your blood sugar level frequently: before each meal and bedtime. If you are have morning high or low values, then I would also suggest that you check at 3 or 4 A.M. This is a nuisance and may only have to be done a few times until good control has been established. In addition, if you feel at all hypoglycemic then certainly check your blood sugar at that time.

As the pregnancy progresses, your insulin requirements will probably rise but control should be smoother.

Posted to Family Planning