Question:

From Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA:

I am a 23 year old African American, recently (3 weeks ago) diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My lab test result (taken the first day I was diagnosed without taking insulin) shows that I have normal insulin level of 3.2 but high glycohemoglobin. Can this mean that I am actually type 2? I am underweight and 23 years old. Could this be something other than diabetes?

Answer:

The diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes is not dependent upon insulin levels but on high blood sugar as evidence of insulin lack. Do you have a family history of Type 2 diabetes -- if this is strong then you may well have type 2. What matters more is effective treatment but your doctor will be happy to discuss tests such as Islet Cell Antibodies if you wish - a positive would mean type 1 but a negative takes you no further forward.