Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I am curious as to what the difference is for people who take a pill and use insulin for diabetes. My grandpa takes a pill for his sugar and I would like to know if he has a less serious diabetic condition because he takes the pill instead of insulin shots?

Answer:

To answer your question in the simplest terms, there are many forms of diabetes. In some of these the problem is that the body does not make enough insulin to meet the needs of normal glucose, fat and protein metabolism. In these cases insulin is essential to life. In other forms of diabetes there may be enough insulin; but the body is resistant to its action and in these situations blood glucose levels can be kept close to the normal range with a variety of oral medications.