From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

1. What is the appropriate blood sugar level for an adult?

2. I understand that high blood sugar is a factor in diabetic neuropathy. I understand that the mechanism by which high blood sugar causes this neuropathy is under research. But can anyone tell me the blood sugar level at which this neuropathy occurs? How high is too high? Is there a known point at which diabetic neuropathy will occur?

Quite difficult to address your questions through the Internet. Nevertheless, here are my short answers:

1. 126 mg/dl is the upper "normal" plasma blood sugar limit according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA) 1997 revised criteria. In Europe we still stick to the older 1980 WHO criteria (140 mg/dl) as WHO itself is still claiming there is no consensus yet about it even though they're trying to reach a kind of common agreement.

2. The blood sugar level at which diabetic neuropathy begins is not known and I don't think a single level does exist: what actually matters is the average metabolic control over the long range (years) as it true for the other chronic diabetes complications.