Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I have a 12 year old son with Type 1 diabetes. When suspicious of my 8 year old (non-diabetic) eating and drinking more than usual, I tested his blood glucose around 1:00 a.m., which was at 176. Could this reading be considered okay in a non-diabetic person due to a large amount of sugery, high carb food? I tested him twice more in the next couple of days in which his blood glucose was in the normal 120 range. This happened several months ago. Could he be in the early stages of Type 1 diabetes? His thirst and appetite fluctuate between less than normal to above normal. Lastly, does his craving for sweets have any significance based on the information above?

Answer:

You need to know his antibody status. There are several centers in Pennsylvania that can do this for you. If he is at risk to develop diabetes, he likely will have antibodies.

I don't think any of the numbers you quoted in your email are normal for a child at any time. You need to follow up on the glucoses and more particularly on the risk status.