Question:

From Santa Rosa, California, USA:

Do you have any information on a study which was presented to the American Diabetes Association in June, 1998 by Barry Sears ("The Zone") and a doctor named Kahl which details a dietary approach that enables a diabetic to reduce medication? The diet supposedly includes a lot of fruits and vegetables, adequate protein, and mono-fats.

Answer:

The study was done in Texas and Massachusetts, and found that among those with Type 2 diabetes, when they followed the diet plan, there were significant improvements in fasting insulin levels, glycosylated hemoglobin, and lipid levels.The folks needed to have foods low in glycemic levels, trans fatty acids and saturated fats and high in monounsaturated fatty acids. I am not really sure of how they accomplished this, but I do not think they were eating meals in a clinical research center, but rather having 2 specially formulated nutrition bars/day, in addition to following the above diet. Although they were put on a low calorie diet with 40% carb, 30% protein and 30% fat, they did not lose a significant amount of weight. I think 70 people started the study, but I do not know how many completed it. Also it was only for 6 weeks, so I think the jury is still out and more studies need to be done.

LSF